Saturday, February 25, 2012

Feminism - An Ongoing Battle


I think there is a huge problem affecting many people all over the United States. Many people do not understand what feminism is. A video I watched on YouTube confirmed many of the misconceptions about feminism and feminists, as well as the readings we had from Women's Views Feminist Voices. In Women's Views Feminist Voices feminists are silenced by being called "lesbians" or "men haters" but this is completely wrong and absurd. Just because a woman is an activist of Women’s Rights does not automatically label her as a lesbian. It was very frustrating to watch this video and it confirms that there is still a significant problem in our society today. Women need their voices to be heard. Everyone deserves respect and equality so that we do not have to encounter situations like some that can be seen in this YouTube clip. One of the men interviewed in the YouTube clip, on the topic of feminism, also referred to feminists as “angry women trying to get their way with the world.” I think that this is horribly wrong. One of the men also stated that he thought women had equal rights since the amendment to the constitution was passed in 1920.




Women that are feminists are just advocates for women's rights and equality for all women. Many people do not understand that being a feminist does not label a woman with any particular sexual orientation. I feel like so many people are left in the dark about feminism and women's rights and I feel that it would help so much if everyone learned these things at a younger age. This problem concerning feminism may be continuing as a result of the lack of education that children receive on this topic.



In the public schools I attended we were never taught anything about feminism or Women's Rights and I feel like everyone would have such a better understanding of feminism and people’s rights. Maybe instead of teaching children what is acceptable for their gender at an early age we should be letting children figure those things out on their own. I believe, instead, when the children reach middle school age, it would be very appropriate to address issues of feminism, sexual orientation, and how to accept people of all differences.



I admit that I had no idea what a Women's Studies class would teach me, but now that I am in this class I view everything so much differently. I can now pick out certain things that are totally ridiculous in the media and I can see how other people are so mislead on feminism and Women’s Rights. I am so happy I am taking this class or I would be viewing the world in such a different, misconstrued way.

No comments:

Post a Comment